Friday, March 11, 2011

Folk Dancing and Lynne Newbon's Memories of Peto Public



Fig. 1 I can recognize Helen Assaf on far right, and Lynne Newborn, 2nd from right. But who are the other 2 Peto Public folk dancers, seen here at one of several performances we did around the Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park.




Fig. 2 I can recognize Helen Assaf 2nd from right, and Lynne Newborn, on far right. But who are the other 2 Peto Public folk dancers?



Fig. 3 Same view but with the panoramic background retained

I just had this wonderfully detailed email from Lynne Newbon, who was part of our class group from 1956 till about 1960, when she moved to the upper north shore.


John Young





Hi John

How fantastic that you have taken the time to organise this…its very much appreciated, thank you.

Barbara Burnett ( Chessell) contacted me a few days ago, and I wanted to pass on that I will be delighted to attend the dinner. My husband Brian will be coming with me, and I very much look forward to catching up with so many of those fondly remembered faces in the school photos. Barb and I have stayed in contact over all of the years, as we had been friends from the age of 3.

Unfortunately she is the only one and I am sorry but I would not be able to help with the search for any of the others.

Just a quick bit of background…

My Mum ran a haberdashery come woman’s clothing business for 14 years in Petersham on the main road. The shop was called “ Newbons”. I have been told that recently there has been a Portuguese chicken shop where our shop used to be. She was also very involved for years in the Chamber of Commerce in Petersham if I remember, and was one of the organizers of the big street parade that was on each year.

I went along to start kindy with Barb on the first school day of the year, all happy and positive about this big step, only to be told that I was too young and to come back in 6 months (birthday is in September). Starting mid year after everyone else had settled in was a trauma and apparently I cried my eyes out most days! I missed being in the kindy photo also of course.

I remember walking home via a corner store that must have been very close behind the school and buying red toffee frogs on sticks to pass the time while wandering home. All of the things you mentioned in your memories of the school came back to me…it was a weird feeling as you are almost instantly transported back and can even clearly see the colours of the reading cards, and those badges!

I also have vivid memories of us singing God save the queen in different “parts”…I have a feeling I was in the low part with the boys a I could not hit the high notes!
The only teachers name that comes to mind is something like a “Mrs Amm”…or something that sounded similar…I remember she seemed a gentle and fairly nice lady.

My best friend was Barb, but I was also good friends with Angelika, and remember Denise Ryan, Janet, Deidre, Rhonda and Dimity who’s father was my Mum’s doctor. It will be lovely to catch up with as many of them that are able to come. Also when I looked at your photo…did you have to do some of the folk dancing that I have photos of… I have a vague memory of that but am probably totally wrong. I know there were a few boys as well as we girls that were dragged into that event. I have attached the photos in case that is you in them.


My Mum was ill with kidney disease..we sold the shop in the middle of year 4 and moved to St Ives so she could retire, have peaceful surroundings, clean air etc.
I was miserable in my new school…I started on the day of their half yearly exams and of course all of the work was utterly different, and their handwriting style also. I was told in the first week that my hand writing must have been designed by an alien…and of course totally flunked out in all the tests, so the remainder of primary school was tough. I desperately missed my friends from Petersham, but Barb and I always stayed at each others homes in the holidays so that helped.

I became a teacher and after teachers college taught n the NT for 9 years, moved to Canberra and have lived in Queanbeyan for the past 27 years.

I have been happily married to Brian for 33 years, we have 4 children, and I retired from teaching a few years ago. I now help my husband in his consultancy business, and also manage our holiday property on the South coast. The “Captains Cottage and Lighthouse” that we love, and stay at whenever it is not booked, but those times are getting harder to find as it is very popular.

We are both looking to retire sometime in the next few years, but are not ready to as yet!

So there you have it, a life mapped out in a few paragraphs!

Lastly I just need to mention that my surname was Newbon as opposed to Newborn…otherwise I am happy for you to include whatever details you wish for others to read on the master list. I will try to organise a photo of myself to scan in, and I look forward to catching up with you and all of the others on the 9th of April.


Thanks again John,
Kind regards,

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment


Petersham Public School badge in 1963